Friday, October 25, 2013

The Big Idea Behind Clickey & the Clockmaker

The concept behind Clickey and the Clockmaker came together when I first began working in feature film animation. I thought a story about clocks might be a great venue for examining the concept of absolute truth. Where a clock can certainly run fast or slow, it cannot change time. It can only follow what the time is, or not. So I came up with a clock who naively believes that if he runs fast enough, he can change the time to suit him.

From there I followed this anthropomorphized clock through his logical path of trying to defy time. As I did, I could only trace a downward spiral of brokenness. It didn't seem a happy story at all. But the brokenness of the human condition is only half the story. I thought of ancient king Nebuchadnezzar and how God proclaimed this "lion" of a ruler had eagles' wings that would be plucked off him. He would be broken in his defiance of God. Then he "was lifted up from the ground and made to stand on two feet like a man, and the mind of a man was given" to him. He was broken, but he was made new. The story of Clickey then came into focus, not merely as a story of brokenness in defying an absolute, but a story of redemption where his brokenness is made whole by contact with the clockmaker's son.

No comments: