Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Enemy of the Gods 5

Silvanus motioned him aside from his group of lictors, saying, “Away from the ears of others.” Up above, Nicholas crept along the rooftop, following them along the building.

Down below, they came to a corner away from the crowds, yet still within the watchful gaze of the lictors. Silvanus said, “You are well respected in the province for your generosity, setting slaves free and such... I would like to offer you help.”

Epiphanius said, “I don’t understand.”

Silvanus said, “There are reports—perhaps only rumors—that you have been associating with the followers of Christus.”

Epiphanius said, “I did not know there was an edict against worshiping Christus.”

Silvanus said, “My friend, if you do not believe in the gods, that is your own affair. I only wish to make certain it does you no harm. These are dangerous times. With bandits and rebels popping up all over the empire, and threats on the frontiers, your kind is not likely to be viewed as a friend of Rome.”

Epiphanius replied, “I assure you, we are loyal. We pay our taxes and pray for the peace of the empire.”

Silvanus said, “I only wish it were as simple as that. Emperor Galenius had the luxury of allowing people to neglect the gods. Diocletian does not. I suppose it is too much to ask you to at least make a show of honoring the gods?”

Epiphanius shook his head. “I am loyal to Rome, though not its gods.”

Silvanus said, “Yes... But to many, Rome is its gods.”

Epiphanius said, “What are you suggesting?”

Silvanus said, “I thought you might appreciate some protection. I could assign some soldiers to do some side work. Just to watch over things wherever you would like them to be watched, to make sure nothing gets out of hand.”

“Thank you, but I cannot accept,” said Epiphanius.

Silvanus said, “With pirates about, are you certain you couldn’t use a soldier or two on your ships once in a while?”

Epiphanius said, “Thank you, but I will entrust my life to the protection of Christus.”

“Very well,” said Silvanus. “But the offer remains if you reconsider.”

No comments: