Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Enemy of the Gods 9

Epiphanius laughed and said, “Well put! Anicetus was right. You do well at persuasion. What would you rather do?”

Nicholas hesitated. He had watched his father running the estate and managing their small fleet of fishing ships. In recent years, his father had begun to put him to work in the business, sometimes working in the fields, sometimes helping out on board the ships. Nicholas enjoyed the work, but Roman fathers commonly chose the trade of their sons, and his father had never spoken of passing on the business. Nicholas thought his father may have had something else in mind for him, so he said, “I’m not sure. Perhaps I could apprentice with some local merchant.”

Epiphanius said, “What would you think of apprenticing with this one?”

“I would like it very much!” said Nicholas.

His father smiled. “Good. Come with me, and I will show you something.”

Click here to go to beginning of the book

No comments: