Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Enemy of the Gods 43

 [Author's note: My apologies, I skipped this post yesterday. To correct for that, here is post 43 today, with post 44 again to keep them in the right order. Thanks for following the story]

“You know him?” said Valerius with jealousy. “Then you must introduce me.”

“I... I don’t know,” said Nicholas. “It’s been six years since we met.”

Valerius said, “Having the proconsul as a friend would be very useful. I say hunt with the dog you have.”

Nicholas reluctantly approached Silvanus and said, “Your honor, welcome back to Lycia.”

Silvanus took his hand and said, “We’ve met before, have we not?”

“Yes,” said Nicholas. “You were very kind when my father Epiphanius was slain in Patara.”

“Ah yes,” said Silvanus. “We grew up together, your father and I. He was very generous with his money... Almost too generous. I hope he left you in good standing.”

“Good enough,” said Nicholas. “I speak for cases at court, and I manage a fishing fleet.”

“Very good. If there is anything I can do, please don’t hesitate to call upon me.”

At that point, Valerius cleared his throat impatiently. Nicholas said, “Oh, this Valerius. He too speaks at court.”

Valerius took the hand of Silvanus and said, “I’m honored to speak with a man of such great civic experience. My father, who served for several years in the Praetorian guard in Rome, used to say that governing is much like an aqueduct, channeling people to where they are most useful to the state. I look forward to learning from your excellent example.”

“Thank you,” said Silvanus with little interest. “If you will excuse me...” Then he turned to greet other guests.

Valerius leaned toward Nicholas and said, “Very useful contact. Very useful indeed.” As they moved on, Valerius looked toward the statue of Zeus. A priest was setting fire to a brazier at its feet. “Oh look. They’re preparing the incense offering to Zeus. Let’s be first in line.”

“You go on,” said Nicholas.

“It will make a great impression,” said Valerius.

Nicholas thought of all the things he could say; that Zeus was but a lie carved in marble, that he did not worship the gods of Greece and Rome, that he worshiped Christus who conquered death. But Valerius would surely not hear of it. He would likely say as Anicetus did, “Impossible.” No one would be swayed by his words, and speaking up would only cause trouble. Perhaps one day, after Valerius had gotten to know him, when they were alone he could mention these things, but not today. Instead, he settled to say, “I’ll let you make the impression.”

Valerius said, “Your loss,” and pressed on.

Click here to go to beginning of the book

No comments: