Thursday, September 22, 2016

Enemy of the Gods 71

Nicholas longed to slip away to his tomb, not because of the gold, but because of the scriptures hidden there. No matter how hard he tried, he could not leave without being seen. A number of the men living with him would take turns by the doorway and one or another would keep him company or follow at a distance wherever he went. They were usually very friendly, but he knew they were more interested in his gold than his God. And then there were the spies of Silvanus. At night, he slipped away onto the rooftop and from there he could see soldiers stationed in the streets around the house. A pair had even perched on opposite rooftops.

Nicholas noticed young Lucas never asked for gifts. In fact, most often his question was, “What can I do?” Nicholas ran out of tasks for him to do about the house and found him work with his former fishing captains to whom he had handed over the fishing business. Every few days Lucas would return bearing a basket of fish to share with the household.

One day Nicholas walked Lucas to the harbor. As usual, one of the believers followed at a distance, and a soldier as well, but the spies were far enough away that they could speak privately. Nicholas said, “Remember when I used to buy you dates?”

Lucas chuckled, “You would get mother so mad.”

“Not so mad that she would stop me,” said Nicholas. Then he added, “You of all people would have some idea what wealth I once had. Never have you asked about it.”

“I assumed it was gone.”

“What if it wasn’t? What if I gave it all to you? What would you do with it?”

Lucas thought about it for a few moments. He said, “I would have to ask the Lord what he wanted me to do with it.”

Nicholas nodded. “Well said... How are you at acrobatics?”

Lucas said, “I’m not very good on the wooden horse, but I can run and I can climb.”

Nicholas smiled and said, “I could use your help with something.”   

“What can I do?”

With sunset, the people living in the house of Nicholas would all drift to their corners and settle in for the night. Though many had gone on to find more permanent homes, many more were still arriving fresh from the mines or prisons. Nicholas welcomed them all, as much as he had room for.

Click here to go to beginning of the book

No comments: