Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Enemy of the Gods 74

The spy just stared at him.

“Yes, I’m talking to you,” said Nicholas.

The spy frowned and stood his ground. Nicholas let out a sigh and said, “I suppose you have your orders... But if you must know of my treasure, I would tell you of it.” The spy gave him no reaction. Nicholas couldn’t tell if the man suspected his treasure was not the one Silvanus wished to know about, or if he couldn’t see this fitting with his orders.

Nicholas continued on his way and the spy followed.

When Nicholas entered the house where the overseers met, the eyes of all turned to him. He said, “I beg your leave for being so late.”

One of the overseers said, “In your absence, we have already chosen a head overseer.”

Nicholas said, “Very well, but I think you should know how I feel about it.”

“Before you speak,” said another. “You should know whom we have chosen... We have all agreed it should be you.”

Nicholas shook his head. “You are very kind. But I’m not convinced that we even need a head overseer. Each of us must answer directly to Christus, not to a mere man. And if one of us should cease to listen to his voice, all the others ought to call him to account for it.”

The oldest overseer replied, “All the more reason that we should choose you. We trust you will listen to his voice and to wise counsel from us when we have it to offer.”

“And if I do not accept?” asked Nicholas.

“Then I suppose we must choose another.”

Nicholas stood in silence for some time. Finally, he said, “Christus told us whoever would be first, must be last. Whoever would be great among us must be the slave of all. So, if that is what you are calling me to, I accept.” And with that, Nicholas became the head overseer of Myra.

Soon after this, one day Nicholas came to the field of the confessors and found the crowds of believers stopping at the road. Some were turning back. Soldiers stood in front of the field, barring them from entry. Nicholas asked, “What is this about?”

Click here to go to beginning of the book

No comments: