Friday, October 7, 2016

Enemy of the Gods 82

Demetrius took the pouch to the captain and pointed out Nicholas. The captain opened the pouch and found inside three gold coins. The captain grumbled, “Another hoarder... Desperate enough to pay me in advance.”

Demetrius said, “No sir, he is not like the others. You have heard me tell of the secret benefactor of Myra. That is the man. He gave me my freedom.”

The captain stared at the coins. He said, “Bring him to me.”

Demetrius marched down the gangway into the crowds and ushered Nicholas back before the captain. The captain said, “Demetrius has told me many stories of your great generosity.” He reached out to return the pouch to Nicholas and asked, “What do you want?”

Nicholas waved it off. “I ask that you allow me a portion of your grain to feed the starving of Myra.”

“You may be a benefactor, but the owner of my fleet is not. This will not even buy you two modia.”

“I have more,” said Nicholas. “I believe enough to buy 400 modia.” It was a small amount in comparison to the 10,000 modia on board each ship, but it would be enough to keep a thousand people alive for 20 days.

“What do you offer?”

“A thousand and thirty-two aurei. In addition to the gift you now have.”

The captain thought about it a moment. He said, “I already have buyers in Rome. I can get much better prices there.”

“I offer a fair price. It’s all I have... And in selling, you’ll be counted a friend of my master.”

“You are a slave?” asked the captain.

“Yes, a slave of Christus Iesus, and he will reward you if you even offer a cup of water in his name.”

The captain hemmed, “I... do not worship Christus.”

Nicholas said, “One day, perhaps you will. But today, if you agree to sell, know that you will be rewarded with more than gold.”

The captain paused for some time. Finally, he said, “Where’s your money?”

Nicholas waved to the brothers in the crowd and said, “On its way now.”

When Lucas and the brothers saw him wave, they converged on the amphora jar where Marinus had spent the night. Lucas and Caius lifted it up by its two handles and carried it toward the ship while the others cleared the way.

As they carried it to the gangway, Nicholas said to the captain, “There it is.”

“Let them through!” called the captain. His men parted and Lucas and Caius set the amphora down at his feet. Nicholas could see the decanus and his soldiers pressing their way through the crowds.

“Bring me my counting bench,” the captain ordered, and a sailor rushed in with a short, square table. Lucas and Caius poured the gold out on deck and the captain set himself to counting.

With each clink of the coin, the footsteps of the soldiers drew nearer. The sailors at the gangway stood their ground before the soldiers, asking their business. The decanus said, “Orders of the proconsul. Make way.”

The sailors parted to them and they marched aboard as the captain said to Nicholas, “All there. The wheat is yours.”

Click here to go to beginning of the book

No comments: